Anna Wintour has spoken up on the growing debate over Jeff Bezos and Lauren Sánchez’s help in funding the 2026 Met Gala.
Speaking to CNN, the longtime Met Gala architect said she’s “grateful” for Sánchez Bezos’ involvement.
“I think Lauren is going to be a wonderful asset to the museum and to the event,” Wintour, 76, said. “She’s incredibly generous, and she loves costume and fashion. We’re thrilled she’s part of the night.”
Wintour recently stepped down as editor-in-chief of Vogue after 37 years but remains Global Creative Director and Condé Nast’s Chief Content Officer. She will still help oversee the 2026 gala, which will be the first run by her successor, Chloe Malle.
The choice to bring Bezos in as a donor has sparked criticism. The Met Gala is usually funded by top fashion houses, and this change has raised concerns about the event’s direction, especially after Bezos recently attended a White House state dinner with Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, Elon Musk, and Apple CEO Tim Cook.
The 2026 theme, “Costume Art,” will support the Met’s upcoming exhibition of the same name. Saint Laurent and Condé Nast will also contribute to funding. The show opens May 10, 2026, and runs through January 10, 2027.
Sánchez Bezos, 55, and Bezos first attended the Met Gala together in 2024 under the “Garden of Time” dress code. Their relationship became public in early 2019, shortly before both finalised their divorces. Sources previously told PEOPLE the couple initially connected through work projects before their relationship turned romantic.
The 2026 Met Gala is scheduled for May 4, 2026.


